Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 2 of forever

Well, Ben Yong slept through the night until 5:30 a.m. this morning, and he probably would have slept a little longer if Tom and I were not whispering.  I did my best to sleep, but spent many hours just making sure he was breathing. :)

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant- free breakfast buffet with a hotel stay seems to be very common here.  Ben Yong was a trooper, ate 2 steamed buns with meat, scrambled eggs and watermelon.  After that we had to go do more paperwork- first finalizing the adoption at the same Civil Affairs Office we met him yesterday, then to the notary office for more paperwork.  I definitely learned how Ben Yong acts when tired.  I couldn't figure out why nothing made him happy until he passed out between our exiting the bus and riding the elevator up to our room. It was exactly his nap time. He has now been sleeping for 1.5 hours, so we are good there!
Playing in the play area at the office- so dirty I was wiping everything off with kid's wipes, but it was all we could do to entertain him.

 Our unofficial picture after we had just taken the official one- already he is melting down.


Our Emperor Sleeps

We are done for the day and will just be hanging out until bed.  Tomorrow we make the long trek to Xinyang and then Luoshan County, and I admit I am dreading it, but would have never forgiven myself if we missed this opportunity to talk more with the orphanage director and the nannies about Ben Yong, and to see how he acts when we sees them- then we will know if we have seen the real Ben Yong yet!  We are bringing snacks for the kids and nannies, as we have already given gifts to the director and the nanny when we met them yesterday.  I am also bringing pieces of paper and asking the nanny and director to each write a note to Ben- based on how kind they were yesterday, I think they would like this.  We'll have the note translated and then he will always have this memory from the people who loved him- because he obviously has been loved-for the first year of his life.

10 comments:

momtobe said...

Amazing:) I agree with you Mommy, going to see his nannies will be so important to Ben later in life...I'm just so thrilled for you guys:)

kelly said...

I love the sleeping picture =) it will definitely be a hard tip, but so worth it to meet and talk with the people who cared for Ben.

Laura and Brian said...

This is so great :) And what a fabulous idea to ask for the letters- he will treasure that later in life!

Molly said...

Aww, he's so sweet when he's sleeping! Love the idea about the notes from his caretakers! Have a good day!

Jennifer said...

Amazing the way he sleeps and eats. I think if I had only known Ashu a few hours when I took him away from what he knew he would have never stopped screaming. He seems to be doing great there. I agree about the orphanage. I think the videos and photos I have of the hut and village are priceless.
Your son is sooo cute. :-)

Heidi said...

Ben is too adorable. I just love all of your pictures. It sounds like everything is going really well. I am so incredibly happy for you. I think it is such a wonderful idea to ask for the letters. It will definitely be something for him to treasure when he grows up.

Lee and Martha said...

Oh Dear! I am tearing up again. The sleeping picture is precious and always reminds me how calm and quiet life can be at times. There is always peace in sleep for both mommy and baby :)

Jennifer A. said...

Wowowowow, what a couple of days! Good eating and good sleeping are awesome things! And a sleeping baby...can you get more precious?? I hear you on the breathing part, the first few months of having K home, I was convinced someone was going to break into our house and take her so every noise I heard in the middle of the night made me paranoid. Like there weren't enough reasons to lack sleep! SOOOO wonderful that you are making such a great record for him in the future.

nicole said...

Each post makes me tear up. I am just so happy for your guys!

C Crino said...

I am so excited for you. Have a safe trip home. I'm very much looking forward to meeting the little guy!