Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Letting Go of Normal

I wrote this post while in China but inadvertently deleted it, but it has been such a big piece of adopting, I can't not mention it.

When we were in Guangzhou, we were in the hotel playroom when two families from another agency joined us.  Both families were adopting 2 children at once- 4 girls all together, all under 3.  There was one girl  who Tom and I both fell in love with- she made us all laugh the most, she just exuded this complete joy and happiness,and she also happened to have Downs Syndrome.

People have thought we were nuts for adopting a child whose family we had no idea about. When trying to adopt our little boy from Poland, our international doctor had warned us of risks for our son based on his background information.  And at first, I was scared. But then, we did what all adoptive parents who are successful do- we let of "normal".

Will Ben's minor special need impact him as he grows up? We'll have several surgeries, one or two major, but we are thinking at this point that he will grow up to live a pretty uneventful life related to his cleft.  But no matter what you plan for, biological or adopted, you never know what life with bring your way.

"O come, all thee faithful."

I remember our plane ride over to Poland for our first trip.  I was so, so afraid.  I was afraid we had been mislead, I was afraid our little boy was different than we had been told.  When had been told stories by other people to make us contemplate this possibility. I remember turning to Tom during the plane ride and saying to him, "but no matter what, we are bringing K. home right?"  And K. was perfect, but not our son, he was already a son to another.  But forever, I had taken my "normal" balloon, and let it go up in the sky.  I was seeking my child, perfect in the Lord's eyes.

"Glory to God, Glory in the highest."

In that playroom, watching that sweet girl, I couldn't help but be overwhelmed by these families. They, and so many others, had taken their "normal" balloons and let them go.  And they were so, so rewarded.  If you said "downs syndrome" you would never know this sweet girl Katie.  When you share adoption, you share the fact that you have floated that balloon up in the sky.  And the best part is, once that balloon is gone, you realize it never meant anything at all.  You still have all the balloons that matter- perfect, beloved, forever.

I have been following this family's story for the past year.  Some people may think they are crazy, but they seem like one of the most beautiful families I have had the opportunity to read about:

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50288556

I don't know what the future holds for our family, but I hope we can continue to be aware of the gifts we have to give and the little ones who wait for families, and the indescribable joy of knowing them forever.  



No comments: