Friday, December 28, 2012

Ben has had a cough since December 13.  It was his only symptom-no fever, no runny nose, and it was not terrible at that, so we had just been keeping an eye on it.  It seemed to be better during our last days in China, but then Christmas Day it was suddenly worse. Ben had not been himself that day either or since, he doesn't want to play and just wants to be held and cuddled. The day after we made an appointment to see the pediatrician.

We have appointments to see an international adoption doctor in a few weeks at the University of Chicago, but we hadn't yet specifically picked a pediatrician.  We called our doctor's office, which is part of a large health system, and they got us an appointment at a pediatrician in Glenview. We figured it would be a one time visit to this specific doctor, as it was just a few days after Christmas and all offices were probably scraping the barrel with staffing.  But oh my, we met Dr. Canel and I think we are sold.  Though we were just in for the cough, he spent 20 minutes with us going through everything related to Ben's health-plan's for our University of Chicago visit, Ben's current eating, drinking, sleeping, etc.  It felt great to spend some time with a doctor making sure we are on track after being home just a few days.  In the end, Ben's lungs were clear, his ears were clear, but he had some serious build up in his nose and inflammation his throat.  It looks like it is probably a sinus infection and the cough is all from post nasal drip.

So we now have antibiotics, a cool mist humidifier, and saline to squirt in his little nose, so hopefully we are on the mend.

It is funny feeling like you have a new baby and and a toddler all at once. To us, Ben is like a 2 week old. We obsess like brand new parents, but he isn't a brand new life.  On Christmas Day, I got a little weepy because I knew he didn't feel good, and Tom noted that he had been surprised since we adopted Ben how anxious and unsure I had been about caring for him, considering I have been around kids forever.  But without question there is something about having to be the ultimate decision maker for a life that makes you feel like everything you were sure of is suddenly not 100% anymore!

Thanks Grandma for this seal-now if I can just get it out of the packaging...

Fireman!! Thanks Aunt Molly and Uncle Ryan!

Best gift-this empty gift bag, of course!


4 comments:

Jennifer said...

soo different. I think those adopting from Africa go to the international clinic right away. I had my appointment before I left for 48 hours after we hit US soil.... of course if you saw the size of those worms swimming in the toilet, you would have been happy to have the appointment. ;-)

.. Ben looks GREAT!

.. On another note, I keep thinking about the surgeries Ben needs. I totally was neurotic when I had to hand Ashenafi over for surgery two months after he arrived home. THAT was one of the worst (would say THE worst but obviously keeping it in perspective) days of my life. It is just the idea of handing your child over and putting his life in someone else's hands. ugh... don't want to ever do that again.

Tom and Kara said...

Jennifer, I hear you. I have had to completely block out his cleft palate surgery because I know I am going to lose my mind pre- and post-op.

Lee and Martha said...

I can relate ! Three times I called our peditrician while she was on-call over pretty simple things, but I kept second guessing myself and the "what if's" that ran through my head would have had us in the ER if Lee wasn't there to be rational. Whenever I "just don't know what to do" …I call the peditrition. (A call is always Free LOL) and the nurse helps calm my fears. However, there was a time that Adam woke up with hives everwhere because of an allergy we learned of and that had me freaked out for weeks! A call to my best friend who has children usually makes me rational again too!! Girlfriends, always have good tricks of the trade for illnesses!! Hope he feels better soon!

Shelly said...

What I love about your posts is the honesty. I catch myself nodding in agreement many times as I read. This post was no different. Taking care of Ben will feel and should feel completely different. The adage, " being a parent is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body" is so true. I am glad to hear that you found a Dr. that you love. This will help dramatically when it is time for surgeries and treatments (Michal recently had his 5th set of ear tubes placed). Trust me that you will still go bizonkeers, but at least you will know he is in good hands.