Wednesday, August 27, 2014

This may not post neatly to blogger, but I am having trouble connected to our VPN and blogger is blocked in China.  Today we went and applied for Su Min’s passport AND visited the Children’s Welfare Institute where he lived until Monday.  In the Henan province, children must go back to their home city to apply for their passports.  The other families’ children lived a shorter distance, so they had all gone the previous afternoon.   We need his passport to fly to the next city and then home.

So our family and our guide met at 7:30am to take the 30 minute cab drive and 1.5 hour bullet train ride to Xinyang City.  The orphanage officer who had brought Su Min to us was there at the train to meet us, and took us to the office to apply for the passport.  The office had recently moved, otherwise this would have been the same place we went with Ben.  I will just say that as a family of 4  We. Are. Chaos.  Discipline or whatever you would call it is a huge issue currently because 1. We are literally stared at everywhere we go, so you would rather the people already staring at you not see you giving your Chinese kid the evil eye or putting them in time out. 2.  Ben is of course struggling so we are trying to be VERY VERY patient (ASKING FOR GRACE FOR MYSELF!) and to really be there for him 3. Does anyone have kids who 
are thrilled to visit the DMV, etc etc and sit in trains, buses and cars all day?    

After the completed the application, on our request, we went to Children’s Welfare Institute.  It was, like most buildings in China it seems, a high rise with outdoor walkways on each level.  People do orphanage visits all kinds of ways, many wear their child in a carrier so that no one (i.e. nanny) can pull them from their arms.  While I had the carrier with us, I just couldn’t do it.  Su Min has been adjusting really well, and I knew there could still be an issue of him not wanting to come back with us, but from reading many, many families experiences, I knew it would be OK.

Just like with Ben, we were hardly out of the car when someone took Su Min from me and walked ahead talking to him and kissing him.  We walked upstairs with them and just like with Ben (though Ben is not from here) nannies gathered and passed him around like a hot potato, asking him to say their names and then laughing and kissing him when he replied.  A point, someone tried to hand him to me and he cried.  A wave of panic came over me, but I let it ride.  The nannies were eager for our guide to translate to us his likes and dislikes. Another nanny told me that she was the one who loaded the flash drive with pictures and had written the corresponding note (our flash drive came back to us with him on Monday). Then someone asked him who Baba was and he pointed to Tom and smiled, then they asked who Mama was and still smiling he pointed to me.  Cheers erupted from everyone and I was SO GRATEFUL for that moment.  






We asked to see his bed and they took us back into another room.  The situation there was not glamourous and might look pretty dire in pictures, but there were a lot of nannies and a LOT of love. At this point we were in a room where lunch was being prepared and it looked like the kids were fed in their cribs in an adjacent room as the food was brought around. Previously our guide and the orphanage officer had separately asked me why we were not adopting a girl, to which I had answered, “Next time.” J It is hard to request a girl hen there are so may boys waiting, At that point the officer brought out a little girl and told me they had just started preparing her file for adoption if I wanted to have her too! I laughed and said yes! If only it was that easy.







We asked about a little boy who is being adopted in a few weeks (I had met his family on Facebook) and they wanted me to know that they are good friends.  I asked if we could take a photo and told them the boys would live in the same city in the U.S. and they were so excited, telling each other and smiling and talking.

In the background there was a woman crying.  The officer explained to our guide this woman and the other nanny we had met took special care of Su Min.  I wanted more than anything to just hug her but it felt presumptuous.  I did my best to smile, ask questions, take their advice about Su Min’s preferences and to sneakily pull out snacks to bribe Su Min back with.  We were not there long at all when we had to leave to catch the train back. Su Min saw that bag in my hand so he did not cry when someone finally handed him back to me, and I received sounds of approval from the nannies.

As we walked out down the long corridor, I turned back to them and said thank you in Mandarin.  I don’t even know if I could have found the right words to say to them if I spoke more than 3 words of Mandarin, and I hoped they wouldn’t somehow be offended by my thanks.  But they just smiled at me and nodded through their tears, and I knew they knew what I was trying to say.  They were such a picture there that I never wanted to forget, nodding their heads to me, and I looked back again, and said it again, this time my eyes swimming with tears too.  Their job is not an easy one, whether children leave or stay, they must carry some heartache for every one of them, for different reasons.

So we left.  There was a 2 hour commute back to the hotel with two cranky toddlers who had no real naps. Needless to say, they and Tom were asleep by 7:45pm and that is why I am in the hotel restaurant with a drink, making sure we never forget this day and all the love our spunky firecracker received from Xinyang City CWI,  

1 comment:

kelly said...

Wow, what an emotional day. I love seeing the pictures and following your trip :)